Monday, September 16, 2013

Ramblings of a Soon-to-be-100-miler on Taper

So, I basically ran out of Nick's truck last night (we drove back from Steamboat Springs, CO yesterday), jumped into the car with Sagey Pup, and hit the trails.  I was a little agitated.  I wondered why and this is what I came up with...

Short answer: I'm tapering. And I'm nervous.

Weird things have been happening to me during the last week... and I have two more weeks to go before the big day.  I tell myself not to get too nervous and that I am going to be just fine.

Weird thing #1:  I have done more tempo work in the last week than I have all summer.  I am sore.  I need to roll out.  I feel like I am trying to prove to myself that I am fit.  All the while knowing that speed alone will not help me finish this race, but mental toughness and grit.

Weird thing #2: I find myself imagining crossing the finish line at The Bear.  Passing bikers and runners must think I'm crazy because I am overwhelmed with pride and joy and am smiling as big as absolutely possible.  Oh well.  Eventually that feeling passes and I am nervous again.

Weird thing #3: Breathe in: I'm nervous, breathe out: I'm ok, breathe in: I'm nervous, breathe out:... UGH!!!!!!

Harrison, Sage and myself.
I realize that my work is done, the money is in the bank, and that, in the words of my pacers, I am physically ready, it's the mental part that will be difficult.  I tell myself that I WANT THIS BAD.  I am getting good sleep, taking good care of myself, avoided injury, and am ready!  But then I breathe in.
Hopefully Breein can make it to the finish, but the crew is all pictured here plus Jodi.
I am so lucky and am looking forward to sharing this experience with three of the best friends a girl could have.  Ryan and Harrison are bringing their experience to mile 45 and beyond.  They are great runners and care about my goal.  Lovely Nick will be taking me the last 8 miles into the finish.  I am sure I will be emotional by then.  My good friends Jodi and Alyssa will be coming to the finish line with Sagey Pup so I can give her (and them) big hugs!

I have the best friends and I get to share this with them.  That is really exciting.

4 comments:

  1. You can do it! I cant wait to watch you run across the finish line! I love you so much

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my...you've got me teary eyed just reading THIS...imagine what you're going to do to me when I read your "I BEAT THE BEAR INTO SUBMISSION" blog!!
    YOU ARE AMAZING, Britta...you're going to do wonderfully. You are ahead of the game, because you already know that you are physically ready to do this...just let your mind RELAX so that it, too, can be ready to do it!! Can't wait to see you cross the finish line...maybe you better not do trail work, carve trees, help out at aid stations, etc...this time around, tho. ;~) haha!! LOVE YA!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the nervous energy of tapering. I'm excited for you, can't wait to see you finish this thing! I'm happy to return the pacing favor from Bryce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So Exciting! I will be following you for sure cause I think you are bad ass:)Enjoy every moment, even the really crappy ones, oh yeah...smile in ALL pics, it's a Christy Jo rule about 100's.

    ReplyDelete